Insurance FAQ

1) What coverage is provided under the Pickleball Canada (PC) insurance policies?
PC’s insurance program includes a Commercial General Liability policy as well as a medical expense reimbursement policy referred to as a Participant Sport Accident Insurance policy.

2) What does the General Liability cover?
This covers and defends PC and its members (affiliated clubs and organizations, and individuals) against a third-party property damage claim or bodily injury to a third party.

3) What does the Participant Sport Accident policy cover?
This policy will reimburse the PC member for any medical expense relating to an injury incurred during a PC authorized sporting or social activity. A benefits plan through an employer or provincial health care plan will be your primary coverage. If you do not have a benefits plan, this policy can be used to pay first dollar. Please click HERE for a schedule of the coverages and limits.

We encourage you to red the abide by How to Prevent Sports Injuries article 

4) What is the Deductible?
For Commercial General Liability claims, it’s $500. There is no deductible for Participant Sport Accident claims.

5) What type of activities/play is covered?

                                                                       Authorized Pickleball Sports Activities:
Scheduled and unscheduled play at a Pickleball Canada affiliated club by a  Pickleball Canada Member. Including all warm ups, games, play, In-House or Inter-Club tournaments, demonstrations, instructional**, practice sessions and rest periods as defined by the IFP rulebook. **Please note: clinics from other than Pickleball Canada certified coaches/instructors( private coaches MUST have their own coverage)
Tournaments - Sanctioned and Supported  Please refer to Tournaments Overview 

*** NOTE: From a sports insurance and risk management perspective, tournaments and sports meets represent a higher than normal risk of injury and related lawsuits due to the elevated level of competition, the number of people in attendance and level of activity that typically takes place at such events. Tournaments/Meets are made up of multiple teams playing at the same time, which means more players, spectators, administrators, coaches, etc. than attend regular-season games and events.

Events with such crowds can typically include food vendors, photographers, sportswear and sports equipment vendors, and volunteers monitoring entrances, parking lots, registration areas, and first aid stations. Tournaments also can include unrelated activities such as bounce houses, playgrounds, music, face painting and other forms of entertainment.
Tents, canopies, stages, booths and other temporary structures are also often required for tournaments/meets, which always pose a risk of collapse. Grills, fryers and electrical equipment for food vendors are potential hazards, as well.

6) What other types of insurance should be considered for items not covered under the PC policies?

Each club or organization that has a board of directors should consider having a separate Directors and Officers policy in place. This is because a board member could be personally liable for decisions that are made and the legal expenses of defending a claim.
If significant assets are owned, appropriate property damage / loss insurance should be considered.  Other exclusions under the PC policies include those related to: data, terrorism, asbestos, fungi, and, abuse, molestation or social events.
7) What is a Certificate of Insurance?

certificate of insurance is proof of coverage.  It is often requested by an organization (e.g. school or community) when an authorized activity or event is held on their premises.

8) How do I request a certificate of insurance?
Certificate requests can either be emailed to or by clicking the following certificate request form link HERE. Please provide the name and mailing address of the company or organization that is requesting it. 
9) What is the process for a Participant Sport Accident Claim?
Please complete the attached claims form and return the originals along with initial receipts within 60 days of the accident occurrence to:
Toole Peet & Co Limited
P.O. Box 4650, Station C
1135 17 Ave SW
Calgary, AB T2T5R5

10) Why am I required to sign the Liability Waiver before joining or renewing?  It seems very onerous and one sided. 
The Liability Waiver was prepared by a law firm experienced in the field of sports law as requested by our insurer.  The signing of the Waiver is mandatory for membership as it is multi-purpose including:
    1. Educational- the Waiver reinforces the fact that there are risks associated with playing pickleball as is the case for all sports.  Members need to be aware of these risks and take               positive action to reduce their likelihood of occurrence by playing safely, within their limits and with proper preparation.
    2. Preventative- the Waiver conditions reinforce for the member that they should not play in facilities or under conditions that they consider unsafe for them.  
    3. Individual protection - we unfortunately have become a litigious society. With the Waiver being signed by you and all others you’re playing with, it can be used by you and/or the             insurance company to defend against a claim from another player if, for example, injury results from a serious collision between two of you. 
    4. Organizational protection- similar to individual protection, your club, provincial organization and/or national organization if named in a multi-party claim is afforded the ability to defend             such a claim.

If clubs allow non-PCO members to play at their facility as guests or for orientation, etc.  the Club should have a similar waiver for them to sign.  They are not covered by PCO insurance.

11) Why should we Sanction our tournament when In-House tournaments are also an Authorized Activity and therefore insured?
Insurance coverage is only one of the many benefits of Sanctioning a Tournament as discussed in-depth under “Tournaments”. 

12) Can I get a reduction in my dues if I don’t want or believe I need insurance?
No.  Dues are minimal.  Coverage is priceless.  Hopefully you will never need it. 

13) When does insurance coverage commence?
Upon issuance of your new or renewal membership.

14) Am I covered for lost wages?
Sports Accident policy covers member for up to $20,000 in lost wages if unable to work at any job for a continuous period of 12 months following an accident which is deemed to be permanent or irrecoverable.

15) Our Club already has a liability policy in place.  Is there any additional value from coverage under the PCO policies?
Yes.  The Sports Accident policy is generally not included in the usual coverage packages that Club’s get.  There may be a duplication of items under the Liability policy.  Each situation is different, so a review should be undertaken by you to ensure you have proper coverage at the lowest possible cost.

16) Does coverage extend to claims under provincial or federal personal privacy laws?
No.  A separate waiver tailored to your specific province should be put in place. A sample of such Waiver is attached [here] which may possibly be modified to suit your specific provincial requirements.
17) Who do I ask if I have insurance questions?
Adam Thomson @ 403-209-5447 or
Note:  The preceding responses to the FAQ's are not intended to change, modify or alter an policy terms, previsions, conditions or exclusions. 

Click here for the Insurance Summary page.